Believe it or not, summer heat will eventually come to New Jersey and Staten Island – and when it does, it will come with a vengeance. Before that happens, it’s a good idea to get your A/C in shape for the workload ahead.
Here are seven things you can do in the coming weeks to get your central air conditioner prepped for summer 2019:
- Clean/replace the air filter – A clogged air filter blocks airflow, causing the unit to overwork – a problem that will eventually lead to blower motor failure. Replace it early in the season and check it every 30 days when you’re running your cooling system daily.
- Inspect the condensing unit for nests – Birds, insects and other creatures can make a home inside of the condensing unit; remove them before you power up your A/C.
- Clean debris inside and outside the condensing unit – Keeping condenser coils debris-free enables them to dissipate the heat, which is critical for proper function of your air conditioner. Use a garden hose to push out yard and other debris, taking care not to bend over the delicate aluminum fins. Trim trees and bushes around the condensing unit, leaving at least two feet of clear space around and at least 8 feet of clearance above the unit to ensure adequate air flow.
- Check vents and ductwork – Check vent openings (registers) to make sure they are free of blockage from rugs, curtains, furniture, and other items. If you detect a stale smell coming from your vents, consider having the ductwork professionally cleaned and sealed.
- Test your system – Start up the air conditioner to make sure it powers on and off properly. If it doesn’t,
- Make sure your thermostat is set for the “air conditioner” or “cool” setting
- Make sure that your thermostat is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature
- Check circuit breakers to make sure they have not been tripped
- Make sure all power switches affecting the unit are in the on position
- you’ve tried all of these measures and the A/C still doesn’t work, contact us for service.
- Schedule annual A/C maintenance – A professional air conditioning tune-up keeps your equipment running better for longer and helps identify small issues before they become expensive A/C repairs.
Schedule an A/C tune-up today and pay just $99 (normally $189). But hurry – this offer expires May 31! Contact us today to learn more!