A Mini-Split Air Conditioner is an incredibly efficient way to cool your New Jersey or Staten Island home – if you maintain it properly.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your mini A/C system running like clockwork in the steamy months to come.
- Focus on filters – A clogged air filter can add 20 percent to your monthly bill, so be sure to change filters regularly. Check them every 30 days or so during the cooling season – more often if you have furry pets.
- Give it space – Ductless air conditioners work best if you keep them away from dust-gathering furniture, light fixtures and wall art. Try to keep at least four feet of clear space around your air handlers in every direction.
- Keep your A/C clean indoors – Wipe down your air handler each week with a damp cloth to remove efficiency-robbing dust and dirt.
- …and outdoors – The outside portion of your mini-split system needs to be free of dust and dirt, too. Use garden hose to spray the condenser unit and remove any remaining debris by hand – just be sure to power down before you start your cleanup!
- Keep the pipes dust free – In a ductless system, narrow pipes carry cool or warm air from the outdoor to the indoor unit. Keep them dirt- and dust-free, and watch out for leaks!
- Never skip routine maintenance – An annual tune-up is a must for your ductless system – it will keep your system running at peak performance and can help you spot minor issues before they become big problems.
- Upgrade when the time is right – If your air conditioner is on its last legs – or if you’ve outgrown it with a home addition or expansion – a high efficiency air conditioner upgrade can be worth the investment.